Friday, June 1, 2012

Race Seven ...


                             The Shamrock'N Half Marathon

Ugh.  Well, that one word says it all, UGH!  I guess I really should not complain, at least I completed the half marathon, right!?!  The only problem was my time, a very sad time indeed.  But this whole experience is about honesty, working towards a crazy goal and well, having fun.  I'm just having a hard time writing about the time, but I need to just say it, like ripping off a band-aid, just go for it...3:48:31 (three hours, forty-eight minutes and 31 seconds).  There, it's out there, I said it, I feel OH so much better!  LOL 

Seriously, it was another fun experience.  Amazing bands along the course, the ever helpful volunteers and the cheering crowds.  Genaro ran the whole race and had an awesome time of 1:45 (yes that is one hour and 45 minutes, way to go Big G)!  My friend Lindie and I started out "running" and then after the first porta-potty stop decided to walk.  Lindie is a very fast walker and I had to work to keep up with her.  Believe it or not but walking is very different than running and I think I would have been better off running.  My leg muscles were very tired and sore but when I came around the corner and saw that Tower Bridge at the end of the race, I could have cried!  But something incredible happens that last quarter mile, strangers are cheering you on and you suddenly become energized and you pick up your pace and smile a little more and next thing you know you are crossing that finish line and holding your finishers medal!


If you have not completed a half or full marathon, I encourage all of you to give it a go.  You will be amazed what you can accomplish.  It is like anything else we do in our lives, a little training, time and determination; and you will have it in the bag, and oh what a feeling you will have, like nothing else, no matter how long it will take you to finish.  The Shanrock'N gets a 4 out of 5 shoes.  Till next time, see you on trails.

1 comment:

  1. Dang, almost 4 hours of run/walking sounds exhausting!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete